Cuttings of mature wood of the current year's growth, November to February in a sheltered outdoor bed or planted straight into their permanent position and given a good weed-suppressing mulch. Very easy. Plant into their permanent positions in the autumn.Cuttings of half-ripe wood, June to August in a frame. Very easy.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Salix triandra. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
A good bee plant, providing a source of pollen and nectar early in the year. The flowers are especially fragrant for a willow. Plants are best put into their permanent positions as soon as possible. The root system is rather aggressive and can cause problems with drains. It is best not to grow this species within 10 metres of a building. Often cultivated for its stems, which are used in basket making, there are many named varieties. The stems should be cut down almost to ground level each winter in order to produce long flexible canes. The smooth flaking bark has a smell of almonds. Plants in this genus are notably susceptible to honey fungus.Dioecious. Male and female plants must be grown if seed is required.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Salix triandra. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Salix triandra.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Schofield. J. J. Discovering Wild Plants - Alaska, W. Canada and the Northwest. ()
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Wright. D. Complete Book of Baskets and Basketry. David and Charles ISBN 0-7153-7449-4 (1977-00-00)
- Warren-Wren. S. C. Willows. David and Charles (1972-00-00)
- Komarov. V. L. Flora of the USSR. Israel Program for Scientific Translation (1968-00-00)
- Lauriault. J. Identification Guide to the Trees of Canada Fitzhenry and Whiteside, Ontario. ISBN 0889025649 (1989-00-00)
- Weiner. M. A. Earth Medicine, Earth Food. Ballantine Books ISBN 0-449-90589-6 (1980-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Clapham, Tootin and Warburg. Flora of the British Isles. Cambridge University Press (1962-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
"image:Salix triandra leaves-1.JPG|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.