Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Nothofagus betuloides.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Nothofagus betuloides.
Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 6 - 10cm with a heel, July/August in a frame.Layering.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Nothofagus betuloides. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is fairly hardy in southern Britain but it only makes a shrub in exposed positions. A 30 year old tree (1992) has made remarkable growth at Crarae in western Scotland. Trees have poor wind resistance in Britain, probably because they grow so fast. Dislikes cold winds but is tolerant of warm moist winds. Trees up to 4 metres tall can be successfully established, though the optimum size for transplanting is about 30 - 80cm. The roots are very sensitive to desiccation and extreme care should be taken when transplanting them.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Nothofagus betuloides. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Nothofagus betuloides.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Moore. D. M. Flora of Tierra del Fuego. Anthony Nelson. ISBN 0-904614-05-0 (1983-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- McMillan-Browse. P. Hardy Woody Plants from Seed. Grower Books ISBN 0-901361-21-6 (1985-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Letter from Crarae Garden, March 1993. - (1993-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Taylor. J. The Milder Garden. Dent (1990-00-00)
"image:Nothofagus betuloides.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.