Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Maytenus boaria.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Maytenus boaria.
Cuttings of half-ripe wood, July/August in a frame.Division of suckers in the autumn or spring.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Maytenus boaria. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Tolerates temperatures down to about to about -10°c. This species has a very wide natural range, so far all the introductions have come from Chile but provenances in Argentina might provide even hardier trees that could succeed in colder areas of the country. Plants succeed outdoors in S. England and have produced self-sown seedlings at Lanarth in Cornwall. Large mature trees are growing in woodland conditions at Hilliers Arboretum in Hampshire[K]. The flowers are usually either male or female, though both sexes are found on the same plant. Occasional hermaphrodite flowers are produced. Cattle are very strongly attracted to the leaves of this plant and will not touch other forage when this species is available.A slow growing tree.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Maytenus boaria. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Maytenus boaria.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Grey-Wilson. C. & Matthews. V. Gardening on Walls Collins ISBN 0-00-219220-0 (1983-00-00)
"image:Maytenus_penarc_001.JPG|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.