Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Catalpa speciosa.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Catalpa speciosa.
Softwood cuttings, 10cm long, in a frame. They should be taken in late spring to early summer before the leaves are fully developed.Root cuttings in winter.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Catalpa speciosa. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are hardy to about -15°c, probably more in continental climates, they grow best in areas with hot summers. Protect plants from late frosts when they are young. A fast-growing tree in the wild, where it commences to flower when about 15 years old. Flowering is cyclic, with large crops of seed being produced every 2 - 3 years. The wood is weak which often results in branches breaking off in strong winds. When damaged by herbivores, the leaves produce extrafloral nectar that attracts insects which deter the leaf-eating herbivores. There are some named forms selected for their ornamental value. Trees transplant easily.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Catalpa speciosa. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Catalpa speciosa.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Sargent. C. S. Manual of the Trees of N. America. Dover Publications Inc. New York. ISBN 0-486-20278-X (1965-00-00)
- Hill. A. F. Economic Botany. The Maple Press (1952-00-00)
- Britton. N. L. Brown. A. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States and Canada Dover Publications. New York. ISBN 0-486-22642-5 (1970-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
- Elias. T. The Complete Trees of N. America. Field Guide and Natural History. Van Nostrand Reinhold Co. ISBN 0442238622 (1980-00-00)
- Diggs, Jnr. G.M.; Lipscomb. B. L. & O'Kennon. R. J [Illustrated Flora of North Central Texas] Botanical Research Institute, Texas. (1999-00-00)
- Fernald. M. L. Gray's Manual of Botany. American Book Co. (1950-00-00)
"image:Catalpa speciosa1UME.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.