The flowers are used in the treatment of scrofula.The stem bark is used to treat poisoned wounds whilst the stem sap is used to treat lacquer poisoning.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Castanea mollissima. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Although very winter-hardy, this species does not do well in Britain, it only really thrives in areas with hot summers. Does not fruit well in Britain. A tree in semi-shade at Kew in 1990 was 9 metres tall[K]. Extensively cultivated for its edible seed in China, and also much grown in America, there are a number of named varieties. Plants can fruit in 5 - 7 years from seed and yields from mature trees are around 25 - 60 kilos per tree. Resistant, but not immune, to blight, it is hybridized with C. dentata to try and find blight resistant cultivars with superior seeds. A shallow rooted tree. Responds well to coppicing. An excellent soil-enriching understorey in pine forests. Flowers are produced on wood of the current year's growth. Plants are fairly self-sterile. They hybridize freely with other members of this genus.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Castanea mollissima. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Castanea mollissima.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Howes. F. N. Nuts. Faber (1948-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Duke. J. A. and Ayensu. E. S. Medicinal Plants of China Reference Publications, Inc. ISBN 0-917256-20-4 (1985-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- ? A Barefoot Doctors Manual. Running Press ISBN 0-914294-92-X ()
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Rosengarten. jnr. F. The Book of Edible Nuts. Walker & Co. ISBN 0802707699 (1984-00-00)
- [Flora of China] (1994-00-00)
- Natural Food Institute, Wonder Crops. 1987. ()
- Wilson. E. H. Plantae Wilsonae. ()
- Elias. T. The Complete Trees of N. America. Field Guide and Natural History. Van Nostrand Reinhold Co. ISBN 0442238622 (1980-00-00)
"image:Castanea mollissima.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.