Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Castanea alnifolia.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Castanea alnifolia. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species only really thrives in areas with hot summers, it may not be hardy in Britain. Another report says that it succeeds in climatic zone 7 and should therefore tolerate temperatures down to at least -10°c. Usually a small shrub, this species occasionally reaches small-tree size (as C. alnifolia floridana. Sarg.) This species is similar to and often confused with C. pumila. An excellent soil-enriching understorey shrub in pine forests. It grows into a clump by means of suckers. Flowers are produced on wood of the current year's growth. Plants are fairly self-sterile. They hybridize freely with other members of this genus.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Castanea alnifolia. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Castanea alnifolia.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Sargent. C. S. Manual of the Trees of N. America. Dover Publications Inc. New York. ISBN 0-486-20278-X (1965-00-00)
- Elias. T. The Complete Trees of N. America. Field Guide and Natural History. Van Nostrand Reinhold Co. ISBN 0442238622 (1980-00-00)
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-227" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.