Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Sorghum halepense. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is not very winter hardy, tolerating occasional temperatures down to about -5°c so long as the soil is not too wet. It is best adapted to warm humid summer-rainfall areas in the subtropics, not growing well in strictly tropical areas. A very aggressive plant, spreading freely at the roots and only suitable for large areas. It is a parent of the cultivated Sorghum (S. bicolor).Classified as a short day plant, it does not flower if the daylight hours exceed about 13 hours per day.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Sorghum halepense. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Sorghum halepense.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Duke. J. Handbook of Energy Crops - (1983-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Chopra. R. N., Nayar. S. L. and Chopra. I. C. Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants (Including the Supplement). Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi. (1986-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Perennial Garden Plants J. M. Dent & Sons, London. ISBN 0 460 86048 8 (1990-00-00)
- Hill. A. F. Economic Botany. The Maple Press (1952-00-00)
- ? Flora Europaea Cambridge University Press (1964-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
"image:Sorghum halepense closeup.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.