Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Solanum muricatum.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Solanum muricatum.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Solanum muricatum. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Frequently cultivated for its edible fruit in S. America, there are some named varieties. Yields of 40 - 60 tonnes per hectare have been achieved. Plants are not very hardy in Britain, being cut to the ground by fairly light frosts. Seedlings show no resistance to frost, established plants are cut back at -3°c. In a warm position and given a good mulch however, the roots can survive the winter and regrow from the base in the spring. Cuttings are exceedingly easy and these can be overwintered in a greenhouse to provide fresh plants for the following year[K]. Plants do not appear to have a sensitivity to day-length.Plants can set fruit parthenocarpically (without fertilization or seed being formed) but self-fertilization or insect fertilization greatly encourages fruiting. High temperatures, particularly above 30°c, at flowering time can cause the flowers to abort.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Solanum muricatum. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Solanum muricatum.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Popenoe. H. et al Lost Crops of the Incas National Academy Press ISBN 0-309-04264-X (1990-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
"image:Solanum muricatum Flower2.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.