Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Solanum ajanhuiri.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Solanum ajanhuiri.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Solanum ajanhuiri. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This plant is one of the S. American species of potatoes, it is possibly a hybrid S. stenototum x S. megistacrolobum. It is more frost hardy than the common potato, tolerating temperatures down to about -5°c, and can probably be grown in much the same way as potatoes are grown by planting out the tubers in spring and harvesting in the autumn[K]. It is cultivated for its tubers in the Andes, there are several forms but only one, called 'sisu' is not bitter - there are blue and white tuber varieties of this form. Plants can produce tubers in 5 - 6 months from planting out. Plants might have strict daylength requirements and may yield poorly in temperate zones because they need short-days in order to induce tuber-formation. A diploid species, it rarely produces fertile seed and even then only in small quantities. It is resistant to viral diseases and round-cyst nematode and is immune to Synchytrium black wart.The tubers store well.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Solanum ajanhuiri. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Solanum ajanhuiri.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Popenoe. H. et al Lost Crops of the Incas National Academy Press ISBN 0-309-04264-X (1990-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Simons. New Vegetable Growers Handbook. Penguin ISBN 0-14-046-050-0 (1977-00-00)
- Thompson. B. The Gardener's Assistant. Blackie and Son. (1878-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Duke. J. Handbook of Energy Crops - (1983-00-00)