Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Senecio jacobaea.
An emollient poultice is made from the leaves. The juice of the plant is cooling and astringent, it is used as a wash in burns, sores, cancerous ulcers and eye inflammations. It makes a good gargle for ulcerated mouths and throats and is also said to take away the pain of a bee sting. Caution is advised here since the plant is poisonous and some people develop a rash from merely touching this plant[K]. A decoction of the root is said to be good for treating internal bruises and wounds.A homeopathic remedy is made from the plant. It is used in the treatment of dysmenorrhoea and other female complaints, internal haemorrhages and other internal disorders.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Senecio jacobaea. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Senecio jacobaea. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Senecio jacobaea.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Unknown part (Dye)
- Unknown part (Diuretic)
- Unknown part (Emmenagogue)
- Unknown part (Expectorant)
- Unknown part (Homeopathy)
- Unknown part (Astringent)
- Unknown part (Diaphoretic)
- Grieve. A Modern Herbal. Penguin ISBN 0-14-046-440-9 ()
- Stary. F. Poisonous Plants. Hamlyn ISBN 0-600-35666-3 ()
- Frohne. D. and Pf?nder. J. A Colour Atlas of Poisonous Plants. Wolfe ISBN 0723408394 ()
- Chevallier. A. The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants Dorling Kindersley. London ISBN 9-780751-303148 ()
- Johnson. C. P. The Useful Plants of Great Britain. ()
- Grae. I. Nature's Colors - Dyes from Plants. MacMillan Publishing Co. New York. ISBN 0-02-544950-8 ()
- Launert. E. Edible and Medicinal Plants. Hamlyn ISBN 0-600-37216-2 ()
- Lust. J. The Herb Book. Bantam books ISBN 0-553-23827-2 ()
- Clapham, Tootin and Warburg. Flora of the British Isles. Cambridge University Press ()
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 ()
"image:Jacobskruiskruid bloeiende plant Senecio jacobaea.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.