Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Scrophularia umbrosa.
Water betony is said to have similar medicinal properties to the knotted figwort, S. nodosa. These properties are as follows:- Knotted figwort is a plant that supports detoxification of the body and it may be used as a treatment for various kinds of skin disorders. The whole plant is alterative, anodyne, anti-inflammatory, diuretic, mildly purgative and stimulant. It is harvested as the plant comes into flower in the summer and can be dried for later use. A decoction is applied externally to sprains, swellings, burns, inflammations etc, and is said to be useful in treating chronic skin diseases, scrofulous sores and gangrene. The leaves can also be applied fresh or be made into an ointment. Internally, the plant is used in the treatment of chronic skin diseases (such as eczema, psoriasis and pruritis), mastitis, swollen lymph nodes and poor circulation. It should not be prescribed for patients with heart conditions.The root is anthelmintic.
If you have sufficient seed then it can be sown outdoors in situ in the autumn or the spring.Division in spring. Larger divisions can be planted out direct into their permanent positions. We have found it best to pot up the smaller divisions and grow them on in a lightly shaded position in a cold frame, planting them out once they are well established in the summer.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Scrophularia umbrosa. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Scrophularia umbrosa. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Scrophularia umbrosa.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Cooper. M. and Johnson. A. Poisonous Plants in Britain and their Effects on Animals and Man. HMSO ISBN 0112425291 (1984-00-00)
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 (1972-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Grieve. A Modern Herbal. Penguin ISBN 0-14-046-440-9 (1984-00-00)
- Chevallier. A. The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants Dorling Kindersley. London ISBN 9-780751-303148 (1996-00-00)
- Launert. E. Edible and Medicinal Plants. Hamlyn ISBN 0-600-37216-2 (1981-00-00)
- Lust. J. The Herb Book. Bantam books ISBN 0-553-23827-2 (1983-00-00)
- Mills. S. Y. The Dictionary of Modern Herbalism. ()
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 (1995-00-00)
- Clapham, Tootin and Warburg. Flora of the British Isles. Cambridge University Press (1962-00-00)
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-1" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.
"image:Scrophularia umbrosa1.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.