Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Scrophularia nodosa.
The whole plant is alterative, anodyne, anti-inflammatory, diuretic, mildly purgative and stimulant. It is harvested as the plant comes into flower in the summer and can be dried for later use. A decoction is applied externally to sprains, swellings, burns, inflammations etc, and is said to be useful in treating chronic skin diseases, scrofulous sores and gangrene. The leaves can also be applied fresh or be made into an ointment. Internally, the plant is used in the treatment of chronic skin diseases (such as eczema, psoriasis and pruritis), mastitis, swollen lymph nodes and poor circulation. It should not be prescribed for patients with heart conditions.The root is anthelmintic.
If you have sufficient seed then it can be sown outdoors in situ in the autumn or the spring.Division in spring. Larger divisions can be planted out direct into their permanent positions. We have found it best to pot up the smaller divisions and grow them on in a lightly shaded position in a cold frame, planting them out once they are well established in the summer.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Scrophularia nodosa. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Scrophularia nodosa. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Scrophularia nodosa.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Grieve. A Modern Herbal. Penguin ISBN 0-14-046-440-9 (1984-00-00)
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 (1995-00-00)
- Chevallier. A. The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants Dorling Kindersley. London ISBN 9-780751-303148 (1996-00-00)
- Launert. E. Edible and Medicinal Plants. Hamlyn ISBN 0-600-37216-2 (1981-00-00)
- Lust. J. The Herb Book. Bantam books ISBN 0-553-23827-2 (1983-00-00)
- Mills. S. Y. The Dictionary of Modern Herbalism. ()
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-1" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.
"image:Scrophularia nodosa6.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.