Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Sasa palmata.
The canes can be used as plant supports.The canes and foliage are used to make hardboard and cardboard.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Sasa palmata.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Sasa palmata. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
A very hardy plant, tolerating temperatures down to about -20°c without much damage. This species is notably resistant to honey fungus. Plants only flower at intervals of many years. When they do come into flower most of the plants energies are directed into producing seed and consequently the plant is severely weakened. They sometimes die after flowering, but if left alone they will usually recover though they will look very poorly for a few years. If fed with artificial NPK fertilizers at this time the plants are more likely to die. When grown near water it makes a good cover for wild fowl etc.The rootstock is very rampant and difficult to remove once established. New shoots are produced from April.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Sasa palmata. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Sasa palmata.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Lawson. Bamboos. Faber (1968-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Farrelly. D. The Book of Bamboo Sierra Club. ISBN 0-87156-825-X (1984-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- ? The Plantsman. Vol. 1. 1979 - 1980. Royal Horticultural Society (1979-00-00)
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-162" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.
"image:Sasa-palmata-winter.JPG|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.