Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Salvia carnosa.
A decoction or infusion of the leaves has been used in the treatment of fevers, coughs, colds and stomach aches. A poultice of the crushed leaves has been applied tot he chest to treat congestion. A decoction of the leaves and stems can be drunk, used as a wash or as a steam bath in the treatment of headaches. A decoction of the flowering stems has been used as a poultice and a wash to treat swollen leg veins.The plant is much valued as a treatment for an epileptic or faint person, either administered as a drink or prepared like tobacco and the smoke blown into the patients face.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Salvia carnosa. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants can be killed by excessive winter wet.Members of this genus are rarely if ever troubled by browsing deer.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Salvia carnosa. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Salvia carnosa.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Moerman. D. Native American Ethnobotany Timber Press. Oregon. ISBN 0-88192-453-9 (1998-00-00)
- Whiting. A. F. Ethnobotany of the Hopi North Arizona Society of Science and Art (1939-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Perennial Garden Plants J. M. Dent & Sons, London. ISBN 0 460 86048 8 (1990-00-00)
- Munz. A California Flora. University of California Press (1959-00-00)