Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Rubus squarrosus.
Cuttings of half-ripe wood, July/August in a frame. Tip layering in July. Plant out in autumn.Division in early spring or just before leaf-fall in the autumn.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Rubus squarrosus. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
A large climbing plant in its native range but it is not very hardy in Britain, succeeding outdoors only in the mildest areas of the country where it makes a small shrub. Even there it is best grown against a sunny wall. A plant is growing outdoors in a sheltered position in light woodland at Cambridge Botanical Gardens, it has survived at least one cold winter outdoors there[K]. This species is closely related to R. cissoides. Dioecious, male and female plants must be grown if fruit and seed is required. Fruit is seldom formed in Britain.Plants in this genus are notably susceptible to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Rubus squarrosus. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Rubus squarrosus.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Crowe. A. Native Edible Plants of New Zealand. Hodder and Stoughton ISBN 0-340-508302 (1990-00-00)
- Grae. I. Nature's Colors - Dyes from Plants. MacMillan Publishing Co. New York. ISBN 0-02-544950-8 (1974-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Grey-Wilson. C. & Matthews. V. Gardening on Walls Collins ISBN 0-00-219220-0 (1983-00-00)
- Allan. H. H. Flora of New Zealand. Government Printer, Wellington. (1961-00-00)