Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Pachyrhizus tuberosus.
Division of the root tubers in the autumn. Store the roots in a cool but frost-free place over the winter, planting them into pots in the greenhouse in early spring and planting them out after the last expected frosts. Give the plants some protection, such as a cloche, until they are growing away well.Cuttings.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Pachyrhizus tuberosus. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Often cultivated for its edible root and seedpods in tropical areas, this plant is not hardy outdoors in Britain and requires greenhouse treatment but could possibly be grown as a half-hardy annual. When grown for its root the flowers should be removed. Plants are unlikely to form a tuber when grown in Britain due to their photoperiodic requirements. This means that the plants require between 11 - 13 hours of daylight hours per day in order to initiate tuber production[K].This species has a symbiotic relationship with certain soil bacteria, these bacteria form nodules on the roots and fix atmospheric nitrogen. Some of this nitrogen is utilized by the growing plant but some can also be used by other plants growing nearby.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Pachyrhizus tuberosus. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Pachyrhizus tuberosus.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 (1972-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)