A red dye can be obtained from the burnt bark mixed with water and the ash of red oak (Quercus rubra).Wood - light, close-grained, soft, difficult to split. Tough according to one report, weak according to another. It has an intricately contorted and twisted grain. It weighs 29lb per cubic foot, and is used for various things such as panelling, broom handles, woodenware and crates. It is sometimes exploited commercially.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Nyssa aquatica.
Cuttings of half-ripe wood, July/August in a frame.Layering.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Nyssa aquatica. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are fast-growing in well-drained bottomlands in the wild, but slower in swampy sites. They are long-lived trees, commencing to bear seeds when about 30 years old and usually producing heavy crops each year. The seed is mainly distributed by water. Resents root disturbance.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Nyssa aquatica. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Nyssa aquatica.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Sargent. C. S. Manual of the Trees of N. America. Dover Publications Inc. New York. ISBN 0-486-20278-X (1965-00-00)
- Elias. T. The Complete Trees of N. America. Field Guide and Natural History. Van Nostrand Reinhold Co. ISBN 0442238622 (1980-00-00)
- Moerman. D. Native American Ethnobotany Timber Press. Oregon. ISBN 0-88192-453-9 (1998-00-00)
- Britton. N. L. Brown. A. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States and Canada Dover Publications. New York. ISBN 0-486-22642-5 (1970-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
"image:Nyssa aquatica oldtree.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.