Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Nothofagus solanderi.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Nothofagus solanderi.
Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 6 - 10cm with a heel, July/August in a frame.Layering.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Nothofagus solanderi. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is only hardy in the milder areas of Britain. It is hardy and growing reasonably well at Crarae in western Scotland, though it is not as robust as the sub-species N. solanderi cliffortioides. Trees have poor wind resistance in Britain, probably because they grow so fast. Trees up to 4 metres tall can be successfully established, though the optimum size for transplanting is about 30 - 80cm. The roots are very sensitive to desiccation and extreme care should be taken when transplanting them.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Nothofagus solanderi. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Nothofagus solanderi.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- McMillan-Browse. P. Hardy Woody Plants from Seed. Grower Books ISBN 0-901361-21-6 (1985-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Letter from Crarae Garden, March 1993. - (1993-00-00)
- Allan. H. H. Flora of New Zealand. Government Printer, Wellington. (1961-00-00)