If you have sufficient freshly ripe seed then it is well worth trying a sowing outdoors in situ in the autumn. Division in spring or autumn. Very easy, large divisions can be planted out direct into their permanent positions. We have found that it is better to pot up the smaller divisions and grow them on in light shade in a cold frame until they are well established before planting them out in late spring or early summer.Basal cuttings in late spring or early summer. Harvest the shoots with plenty of underground stem when they are about 8 - 10cm above the ground. Pot them up into individual pots and keep them in light shade in a cold frame or greenhouse until they are rooting well. Plant them out in the summer.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Nepeta cataria. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are hardy to about -25°c. Catmint emits a scent that is irresistible to many cats, who will then avidly attack the plant. The smell is said to be similar to certain cat hormones and is more effective with male cats. Quite often a cat will completely destroy even a fairly large plant, small plants especially might need protection until well established[K]. Sometimes grown in the herb garden, there are some named varieties. 'Citriodora' has lemon-scented leaves that are more attractive to people and less attractive to cats. If the plants are cut back hard when they are flowering a second crop of leaves will be produced. Members of this genus are rarely if ever troubled by browsing deer or rabbits. Catmint is a good companion plant to grow in the garden. It is said to repel various cabbage pests, aphis (including peach aphis), flea beetles, cucumber beetles, squash bugs and ants from plants they grow near to.The flowers are very attractive to bees.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Nepeta cataria. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Nepeta cataria.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Unknown part (Condiment)
- Leaves (Unknown use)
- Unknown part (Tea)
- Unknown part (Essential)
- Unknown part (Herbicide)
- Unknown part (Pot-pourri)
- Unknown part (Repellent)
- Unknown part (Stomachic)
- Unknown part (Emmenagogue)
- Unknown part (Antispasmodic)
- Unknown part (Tonic)
- Unknown part (Nervine)
- Unknown part (Antitussive)
- Unknown part (Refrigerant)
- Unknown part (Astringent)
- Unknown part (Sedative)
- Unknown part (Carminative)
- Unknown part (Stimulant)
- Unknown part (Diaphoretic)
- Chiej. R. Encyclopaedia of Medicinal Plants. MacDonald ISBN 0-356-10541-5 ()
- Riotte. L. Companion Planting for Successful Gardening. Garden Way, Vermont, USA. ISBN 0-88266-064-0 ()
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 ()
- Vilmorin. A. The Vegetable Garden. Ten Speed Press ISBN 0-89815-041-8 ()
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing ()
- Lust. J. The Herb Book. Bantam books ISBN 0-553-23827-2 ()
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 ()
- Duke. J. A. and Ayensu. E. S. Medicinal Plants of China Reference Publications, Inc. ISBN 0-917256-20-4 ()
- Holtom. J. and Hylton. W. Complete Guide to Herbs. Rodale Press ISBN 0-87857-262-7 ()
- Allardice.P. A - Z of Companion Planting. Cassell Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-304-34324-2 ()
- Grieve. A Modern Herbal. Penguin ISBN 0-14-046-440-9 ()
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 ()
- Foster. S. & Duke. J. A. A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants. Eastern and Central N. America. Houghton Mifflin Co. ISBN 0395467225 ()
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 ()
- Chevallier. A. The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants Dorling Kindersley. London ISBN 9-780751-303148 ()
- Launert. E. Edible and Medicinal Plants. Hamlyn ISBN 0-600-37216-2 ()
- Mills. S. Y. The Dictionary of Modern Herbalism. ()
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 ()
- Weiner. M. A. Earth Medicine, Earth Food. Ballantine Books ISBN 0-449-90589-6 ()
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Perennials Volumes 1 and 2. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30936-9 ()
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim ()
- Thomas. G. S. Perennial Garden Plants J. M. Dent & Sons, London. ISBN 0 460 86048 8 ()
- International Bee Research Association. Garden Plants Valuable to Bees. International Bee Research Association. ()
- Clapham, Tootin and Warburg. Flora of the British Isles. Cambridge University Press ()
"image:Nepeta cataria Sturm24.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.