Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Mahonia confusa.
A decoction of the root is febrifuge and odontalgic.Berberine, universally present in rhizomes of Mahonia species, has marked antibacterial effects and is used as a bitter tonic. Since it is not appreciably absorbed by the body, it is used orally in the treatment of various enteric infections, especially bacterial dysentery. It should not be used with Glycyrrhiza species (Liquorice) because this nullifies the effects of the berberine. Berberine has also shown antitumour activity. The root and root bark are best harvested in the autumn.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Mahonia confusa. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants can tolerate temperatures down to about -10°c. Only introduced to Britain in 1980, the plant is growing so well here that within six years it was being distributed commercially from home-produced seedlings. The young growth in spring can be damaged by late frosts. Plants are very tolerant of pruning and can be cut right back into old wood if they have outgrown their welcome. Closely related to M. fortunei. It hybridizes freely with other members of this genus.The flowers are very sweetly scented.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Mahonia confusa. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Mahonia confusa.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Duke. J. A. and Ayensu. E. S. Medicinal Plants of China Reference Publications, Inc. ISBN 0-917256-20-4 (1985-00-00)
- Weiner. M. A. Earth Medicine, Earth Food. Ballantine Books ISBN 0-449-90589-6 (1980-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Conservatory and Indoor Plants Volumes 1 & 2 Pan Books, London. ISBN 0-330-37376-5 (1998-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Shrubs. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30258-2 (1989-00-00)