The whole plant, but especially the root, is disinfectant, pectoral, salve, stomachic and tonic. The dried root was used in the treatment of rheumatism, stomach complaints, coughs, colds, hay fever, bronchitis, influenza, pneumonia and tuberculosis. The root was burnt and the smoke inhaled in the treatment of asthma and other chest complaints, it was also used as a herbal steam bath for treating chest complaints. The root was used to make a drink that was taken as a tonic to help people in a weakened condition gain weight. A poultice of the peeled and crushed roots has been applied to open cuts, sores, boils, bruises and rheumatic joints. The root has been soaked in water and then used as an antidandruff wash for the hair. An infusion of the leaves and stems has been used as a tonic.The root oil has been applied as a salve to sores and also used as an eye wash in the treatment of trachoma.
Fresh seed can be sown immediately in situ.Division may be possible in spring or autumn.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Lomatium dissectum. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
It can be assumed that plants will require a dry to moist but well-drained soil in a sunny position.This is a taxonomically very difficult genus, many of the species now included in it have at times been included in other genera.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Lomatium dissectum. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Lomatium dissectum.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Moerman. D. Native American Ethnobotany Timber Press. Oregon. ISBN 0-88192-453-9 (1998-00-00)
- Coffey. T. The History and Folklore of North American Wild Flowers. Facts on File. ISBN 0-8160-2624-6 (1993-00-00)
- Coon. N. The Dictionary of Useful Plants. Rodale Press ISBN 0-87857-090-x (1975-00-00)
- Hitchcock. C. L. Vascular Plants of the Pacific Northwest. University of Washington Press (1955-00-00)