Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Leonurus japonicus.
Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Leonurus japonicus.
The leaves are diuretic and are placed in bath water to relieve itching and painful shingles. The dried flowers are emmenagogue and are also used in pregnancy and to help expel the placenta after giving birth. The juice of the stems is vulnerary. The fruit is antibacterial, diuretic, emmenagogue, hypotensive, ophthalmic and vasodilator. It is used in the treatment of abnormal menstruation, nebula and conjunctivitis. The seed is aphrodisiac, diuretic, emmenagogue, ophthalmic and is also used in the treatment of various women's complaints. The plant was ranked number one in a survey of 250 potential antifertility plants in China. The seed is used in the treatment of conjunctivitis and night blindness. The aerial parts of the plant are alterative, antibacterial, antifungal, depurative, diuretic, emmenagogue, hypotensive, vasodilator and vulnerary. The whole plant is decocted, either on its own or with other herbs, as an ophthalmic. It is used in the treatment of abnormal menstruation, postpartum abdominal pain, tumours, uterine bleeding, oedema, eczema and purulent abscess. It is also used externally as a poultice for bruises.Stimulates blood circulation. (The part of the plant used is not made clear.)
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Leonurus japonicus. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Leonurus japonicus. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Leonurus japonicus.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Duke. J. A. and Ayensu. E. S. Medicinal Plants of China Reference Publications, Inc. ISBN 0-917256-20-4 (1985-00-00)
- Yeung. Him-Che. Handbook of Chinese Herbs and Formulas. Institute of Chinese Medicine, Los Angeles (1985-00-00)
- ? A Barefoot Doctors Manual. Running Press ISBN 0-914294-92-X ()
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- International Bee Research Association. Garden Plants Valuable to Bees. International Bee Research Association. (1981-00-00)
- [Flora of China] (1994-00-00)