Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Lathyrus nervosus.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Lathyrus nervosus.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Lathyrus nervosus. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are hardy to about -10°c. A very ornamental plant it is a short-lived perennial. Plants scramble through other plants, supporting themselves by means of tendrils. There has been much confusion in the naming of this plant, two separate names (L. nervosus and L. magellanicus) having been given to what was believed to be different plants. According to one report, L. magellanicus is a distinct species with minor botanical differences and is somewhat hardier than L. nervosus. The two species now seem to have been united under this name. Young plants are extremely attractive to rabbits[K].This species has a symbiotic relationship with certain soil bacteria, these bacteria form nodules on the roots and fix atmospheric nitrogen. Some of this nitrogen is utilized by the growing plant but some can also be used by other plants growing nearby.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Lathyrus nervosus. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Lathyrus nervosus.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Frohne. D. and Pf?nder. J. A Colour Atlas of Poisonous Plants. Wolfe ISBN 0723408394 (1984-00-00)
- Cooper. M. and Johnson. A. Poisonous Plants in Britain and their Effects on Animals and Man. HMSO ISBN 0112425291 (1984-00-00)
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 (1972-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Rice. G. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 1. Thompson and Morgan. (1987-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Perennials Volumes 1 and 2. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30936-9 (1991-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Bird. R. (Editor) Focus on Plants. Volume 5. (formerly 'Growing from seed') Thompson and Morgan. (1991-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
- Grey-Wilson. C. & Matthews. V. Gardening on Walls Collins ISBN 0-00-219220-0 (1983-00-00)
- Moore. D. M. Flora of Tierra del Fuego. Anthony Nelson. ISBN 0-904614-05-0 (1983-00-00)