Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Hosta crispula.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Hosta crispula. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
A very slow-growing plant, it is in general fully hardy in Britain, but the young leaves in spring can be destroyed by frost. New leaves are only produced in the spring and very early summer, so any damage at this time has a deep effect on the plant. Members of this genus are rarely if ever troubled by browsing deer or rabbits. Plants are very attractive to slugs and snails, the young shoots in spring are especially at risk[111, K]. This plant is not recognised as a species by some authorities, who see it as a garden hybrid H. 'Crispula'. Especially when grown in less than ideal conditions, this species is easily confused with H. 'Thomas Hogg' and H. fortunei 'Albomarginata'. Hybridizes freely with other members of this genus. There are some named forms selected for their ornamental value.This species is prone to virus disease.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Hosta crispula. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Hosta crispula.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Royal Horticultural Society. Ground Cover Plants. Cassells. ISBN 0-304-31089-1 (1989-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Plants for Ground Cover J. M. Dent & Sons ISBN 0-460-12609-1 (1990-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Perennial Garden Plants J. M. Dent & Sons, London. ISBN 0 460 86048 8 (1990-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Grenfell. Diana The Gardener's Guide to Growing Hostas David &Charles ISBN 0-7153-0431-3 (1996-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)