Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Gaultheria ovatifolia.
Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 7cm with a heel, July/August in a shady frame. Rather slow, it usually takes 12 months for the roots to form. Division in early spring. Larger clumps can be replanted direct into their permanent positions, though it is best to pot up smaller clumps and grow them on in a cold frame until they are rooting well. Plant them out in the spring.Layering in September/October. Takes 12 months.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Gaultheria ovatifolia. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Closely related to G. humifusa. Reputed to be rather difficult in cultivation, it does not grow well in S. England. The plant can make a good nesting place for mice, these mice then eat the bark of the stems in winter causing die-back.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Gaultheria ovatifolia. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Gaultheria ovatifolia.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Simmons. A. E. Growing Unusual Fruit. David and Charles ISBN 0-7153-5531-7 (1972-00-00)
- Elias. T. and Dykeman. P. A Field Guide to N. American Edible Wild Plants. Van Nostrand Reinhold ISBN 0442222009 (1982-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Hitchcock. C. L. Vascular Plants of the Pacific Northwest. University of Washington Press (1955-00-00)
"image:Gaultheria ovatifolia Iwahaze in Sannomine 2002 6 16.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.