Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Fuchsia colensoi.
Inter-nodal cuttings of greenwood, 5 - 8cm long, May/June in a frame. Quick and easy, a high percentage take[78, K]. Overwinter in the greenhouse for the first year and plant out after the last expected frosts. Inter-nodal cuttings of half-ripe wood, July/August in a frame. Very quick and easy, treat as greenwood cuttings above[K].Cuttings usually succeed at any time during the growing season[K].
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Fuchsia colensoi. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are only hardy in the mildest parts of Britain, they grow well in Cornwall where they can attain a large size. The young growth in spring, even on mature plants, is frost-tender and so it is best to grow the plants in a position sheltered from the early morning sun[K]. A very variable species, it is closely related to F. excorticata and considered by some authorities to be a naturally occurring hybrid with that species.Plants seem to be immune to the predations of rabbits.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Fuchsia colensoi. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Fuchsia colensoi.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Crowe. A. Native Edible Plants of New Zealand. Hodder and Stoughton ISBN 0-340-508302 (1990-00-00)
- Boullemier. L. The Checklist of Species, Hybrids and Cultivars of the Genus Fuschia. Blandford Press ISBN 0-7137-1781-5 (1985-00-00)
- Laing. and Blackwell. Plants of New Zealand. Whitcombe and Tombs Ltd (1907-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Allan. H. H. Flora of New Zealand. Government Printer, Wellington. (1961-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Perennial Garden Plants J. M. Dent & Sons, London. ISBN 0 460 86048 8 (1990-00-00)