Seed - raw or cooked. Rich in oil. The seed should not be eaten raw in large quantities. It can be dried and ground into a powder and then used with cereal flours when making bread, cakes etc.An edible semi-drying oil is obtained from the seed.
Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Fagus orientalis.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Fagus orientalis.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Fagus orientalis. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Young trees are very shade tolerant, but are subject to frost damage so are best grown in a woodland position which will protect them. Hybridizes in nature with F. sylvatica. Large mature trees at Kew produced a very good crop of seed in 1999[K].Trees have surface-feeding roots and also cast a dense shade. This greatly inhibits the growth of other plants and, especially where a number of the trees are growing together, the ground beneath them is often almost devoid of vegetation.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Fagus orientalis. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Fagus orientalis.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
"image:Do?u kay?n?-3.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.