Young leaves - raw or cooked. Crisp, tasty, tender and mild when eaten raw. Eating the leaves will greatly reduce the vigour of the bulb, so can only be recommended in times of emergency[K].Flowers, flower buds and flower stems - raw or cooked.
Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Erythronium albidum.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Erythronium albidum.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Erythronium albidum. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is closely related to E. americanum, but is unsatisfactory in cultivation outdoors in Britain. It comes into growth early in the year and the flowers probably need more heat than is available in this country if they are to open properly. A clump seen growing in light shade at Kew early in April 1995 was growing vigorously, spreading well and had lots of flower buds, but was not yet in flower[K]. Flowers are produced in 3 - 4 years from seed.This species does not produce offsets.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Erythronium albidum. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Erythronium albidum.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Frohne. D. and Pf?nder. J. A Colour Atlas of Poisonous Plants. Wolfe ISBN 0723408394 (1984-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Yanovsky. E. Food Plants of the N. American Indians. Publication no. 237. U.S. Depf of Agriculture. ()
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Britton. N. L. Brown. A. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States and Canada Dover Publications. New York. ISBN 0-486-22642-5 (1970-00-00)
- Bird. R. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 4. Thompson and Morgan. (1990-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Phillips. R. and Rix. M. Bulbs Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30253-1 (1989-00-00)
- Fernald. M. L. Gray's Manual of Botany. American Book Co. (1950-00-00)