Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Edgeworthia papyrifera.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Edgeworthia papyrifera.
Cuttings in spring.Cuttings of half-ripe wood, July/August in a frame.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Edgeworthia papyrifera. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are hardy to about -15°c according to one report, whilst others say that it is only hardy in the milder areas of Britain. It succeeds on a wall at Kew[K] and as a free-standing shrub in Cornwall. The flowers are damaged by frost, so the plant is best grown on a south or west-facing wall. Plants resent root disturbance and should be put into their permanent positions as soon as possible. Cultivated in Japan for the paper that can be made from the bark. The stems are harvested every second year. This species is very closely related to and scarcely distinct from E. gardneri and E. chrysantha.The flowers diffuse a pronounced clove-like perfume and will scent the air to some distance on a calm day.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Edgeworthia papyrifera. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Edgeworthia papyrifera.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Ohwi. G. Flora of Japan. (English translation) Smithsonian Institution (1965-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Bell. L. A. Plant Fibres for Papermaking. Liliaceae Press (1988-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Bird. R. (Editor) Focus on Plants. Volume 5. (formerly 'Growing from seed') Thompson and Morgan. (1991-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Shrubs. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30258-2 (1989-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-109" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.