Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Dicksonia antarctica. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
A very ornamental plant, it is hardy to about -5°c, succeeding outdoors in the milder areas of Britain where it thrives and often self-sows in Cornish gardens. One report says that some forms are hardy to at least -7°c. Plants can tolerate snow but are intolerant of severe frosts. Members of this genus are rarely if ever troubled by browsing deer. The 'trunk' of this plant is merely the decaying remains of earlier growth of the plant and forms a medium through which the roots grow. Plants can be cut down and, if they are kept moist, the top portions can be replanted and will form new roots. The stump, however, will not regenerate since it is simply dead organic matter.It is best to leave old fronds on the plant in order to protect the trunk from cold and desiccation.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Dicksonia antarctica. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Dicksonia antarctica.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Schofield. J. J. Discovering Wild Plants - Alaska, W. Canada and the Northwest. ()
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Ewart. A. J. Flora of Victoria. ()
- Low. T. Wild Food Plants of Australia. Angus and Robertson. ISBN 0-207-14383-8 (1989-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Cribb. A. B. and J. W. Wild Food in Australia. Fontana ISBN 0-00-634436-4 (1976-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Shrubs. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30258-2 (1989-00-00)
- Arnold-Forster. Shrubs for the Milder Counties. ()
- Wrigley. J. W. and Fagg. M. Australian Native Plants. Collins. (Australia) ISBN 0-7322-0021-0 (1988-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Perennial Garden Plants J. M. Dent & Sons, London. ISBN 0 460 86048 8 (1990-00-00)
- Taylor. J. The Milder Garden. Dent (1990-00-00)
"image:SoriDicksonia.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.