Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Dicentra cucullaria.
Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Dicentra cucullaria.
The dried tubers were used as a tonic and were recommended in the treatment of VD. A tea made from the roots is diaphoretic and diuretic. A poultice made from the leaves has been used in the treatment of skin ailments and as a muscle rub to make them more limber.The plant contains an alkaloid that depresses the central nervous system - it is used in the treatment of paralysis and tremors.
Division in early spring. Best done when the plant is dormant in late winter. Larger clumps can be replanted direct into their permanent positions, though it is best to pot up smaller clumps and grow them on in a cold frame until they are rooting well. Plant them out in the spring.Root cuttings 7 - 10cm long in sandy soil in a cold frame.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Dicentra cucullaria. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Dicentra cucullaria. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Dicentra cucullaria.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Foster. S. & Duke. J. A. A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants. Eastern and Central N. America. Houghton Mifflin Co. ISBN 0395467225 (1990-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Weiner. M. A. Earth Medicine, Earth Food. Ballantine Books ISBN 0-449-90589-6 (1980-00-00)
- Rice. G. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 2. Thompson and Morgan. (1988-00-00)
- Bird. R. (Editor) Focus on Plants. Volume 5. (formerly 'Growing from seed') Thompson and Morgan. (1991-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Perennials Volumes 1 and 2. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30936-9 (1991-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Perennial Garden Plants J. M. Dent & Sons, London. ISBN 0 460 86048 8 (1990-00-00)
- Fernald. M. L. Gray's Manual of Botany. American Book Co. (1950-00-00)
"image:Dicentra cucullaria.JPG|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.