A tea is made from the dried leaves.Immature fruits are added to salads or used as a potherb.
A decoction of the roots and unripe fruits is used in the treatment of dysentery.The seeds contain a substance that has a similar action on the heart to digitalin (from Digitalis spp.), but less intense in its action.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Corchorus capsularis. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Jute is sometimes cultivated for the fibre in its stem and also for its edible leaves. It makes an excellent spinach substitute in areas with hot summers. This species is not hardy in Britain but it can be grown as a half-hardy annual here, though it grows much better in areas that are warmer than typical summers in this country. Some reports say that this plant is an annual whilst one says that it is perennial. Since the plant is not hardy in Britain we can only grow it as an annual.This species is very closely related to C. olitorius.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Corchorus capsularis. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Corchorus capsularis.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 (1972-00-00)
- Vilmorin. A. The Vegetable Garden. Ten Speed Press ISBN 0-89815-041-8 ()
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Manandhar. N. P. Plants and People of Nepal Timber Press. Oregon. ISBN 0-88192-527-6 (2002-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Schery. R. W. Plants for Man. ()
- Hill. A. F. Economic Botany. The Maple Press (1952-00-00)
- Chakravarty. H. L. The Plant Wealth of Iraq. ()
- Bell. L. A. Plant Fibres for Papermaking. Liliaceae Press (1988-00-00)
- Gupta. B. L. Forest Flora of Chakrata, Dehra Dun and Saharanpur. Forest Research Institute Press (1945-00-00)
- Chopra. R. N., Nayar. S. L. and Chopra. I. C. Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants (Including the Supplement). Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi. (1986-00-00)
- Buchanan. R. A Weavers Garden. ()
- [Flora of China] (1994-00-00)
"image:NIEdot334.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.