Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Clethra barbinervis.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Clethra barbinervis.
Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 7 - 10cm with a heel, July/August in a frame. Very easy. Root cuttings in December/January. Suckers in the dormant season. They can be planted out direct into their permanent positions if required.Layering of current years growth in late autumn. Takes 18 months. Can also be done in early spring.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Clethra barbinervis. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are hardy to about -20°c according to one report, this conflicts with another report that says it only succeeds outdoors in Britain from Sussex and westwards. A third report says that the plant is generally hardy but sometimes fails in very cold districts of Britain. The new growth in spring is very susceptible to damage by late frosts. The flowers are fragrant.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Clethra barbinervis. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Clethra barbinervis.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Reid. B. E. Famine Foods of the Chiu-Huang Pen-ts'ao. Taipei. Southern Materials Centre (1977-00-00)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)
- Bird. R. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 4. Thompson and Morgan. (1990-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Shrubs. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30258-2 (1989-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Arnold-Forster. Shrubs for the Milder Counties. ()
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
- Ohwi. G. Flora of Japan. (English translation) Smithsonian Institution (1965-00-00)
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-275" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.
"image:Clethra barbinervis0.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.