Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Castanea crenata.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Castanea crenata. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
The majority of species in this genus only really thrive in areas with hot summers, though this species is better adapted to British conditions than most. Cultivated for its edible seed in Japan, there are many named varieties. It is often also cultivated for its seed in America because it is fairly resistant to chestnut blight. Individual trees are very variable with regard to size of the seed, resistance to blight and astringency of the seed. Some cultivars have the largest seeds of any member of this genus. Trees fruit freely when only 3 - 3.5 metres tall. This species is occasionally planted as a timber tree in S. Europe. An excellent soil-enriching understorey in pine forests. Flowers are produced on wood of the current year's growth. Plants are fairly self-sterile. They hybridize freely with other members of this genus.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Castanea crenata. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Castanea crenata.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Howes. F. N. Nuts. Faber (1948-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Brouk. B. Plants Consumed by Man. Academic Press ISBN 0-12-136450-x (1975-00-00)
- Hill. A. F. Economic Botany. The Maple Press (1952-00-00)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Ohwi. G. Flora of Japan. (English translation) Smithsonian Institution (1965-00-00)
- ? Flora Europaea Cambridge University Press (1964-00-00)
- Elias. T. The Complete Trees of N. America. Field Guide and Natural History. Van Nostrand Reinhold Co. ISBN 0442238622 (1980-00-00)
"image:Castanea crenata3.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.