A grey dye is obtained from the pink or red petals.The seed cake has insecticidal activity.
Cuttings of almost ripe wood, 10 - 15cm with a heel, August/September in a shaded frame. High percentage but slow. Cuttings of firm wood, 7 - 10cm with a heel, end of June in a frame. Keep in a cool greenhouse for the first year.Leaf-bud cuttings, July/August in a frame.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Camellia oleifera. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is not hardy in the colder areas of the country, it tolerates temperatures down to between -5 and -10°c. It succeeds on a wall at Kew and outdoors in milder areas. Prefers a wet summer and a cool but not very frosty dry winter. Plants are not very self-compatible, self-fertilized flowers produce few seeds and these are of low viability. This species has been cultivated for many centuries in China for the oil in its seed. A very ornamental plant, some named forms have been developed for their ornamental value.This species is closely related to C. sasanqua.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Camellia oleifera. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Camellia oleifera.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 (1972-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Wilson. E. H. Plantae Wilsonae. ()
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Taylor. J. The Milder Garden. Dent (1990-00-00)
- Stuart. Rev. G. A. Chinese Materia Medica. Taipei. Southern Materials Centre ()
- Kariyone. T. Atlas of Medicinal Plants. ()
- Grae. I. Nature's Colors - Dyes from Plants. MacMillan Publishing Co. New York. ISBN 0-02-544950-8 (1974-00-00)
- Duke. J. A. and Ayensu. E. S. Medicinal Plants of China Reference Publications, Inc. ISBN 0-917256-20-4 (1985-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Bird. R. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 3. Thompson and Morgan. (1989-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Grey-Wilson. C. & Matthews. V. Gardening on Walls Collins ISBN 0-00-219220-0 (1983-00-00)
- [Flora of China] (1994-00-00)
"image:Image Number K8235-1.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.