Immature flowering stems - cooked. Used like broccoli, they make a nice vegetable[K]. An edible oil is obtained from the seed. Oil from the wild species is high in erucic acid, which is toxic, though there are some cultivars that contain very little erucic acid and can be used as food[K].The seed can also be crushed and used as a condiment.
Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Brassica carinata.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Brassica carinata.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Brassica carinata. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is very tolerant of a wide range of climatic conditions but it prefers a range of 15 - 20°c in the day with a diurnal range of 5 - 6°c and moderate rainfall.Cultivated for its edible leaves in some areas, plants that are given some protection from the cold can supply edible leaves all through the winter. There are some named varieties. 'Texsel' is especially good for temperate climates, it is fast growing even at relatively low temperatures.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Brassica carinata. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Brassica carinata.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 (1972-00-00)
- Larkcom. J. Salads all the Year Round. Hamlyn (1980-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Carruthers. S. P. (Editor) Alternative Enterprises for Agriculture in the UK. Centre for Agricultural Strategy, Univ. of Reading ISBN 0704909820 (1986-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)