Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Astelia grandis.
When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in light shade for at least the first winter in a greenhouse. Plant out in late spring or early summer once they are 15cm or more tall.Division in spring.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Astelia grandis. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is not very cold-hardy. It tolerates temperatures down to about -3°cc, and possibly even lower for short periods. It might succeed outdoors in the milder parts of the country.Dioecious. Male and female plants must be grown if seed is required.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Astelia grandis. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Astelia grandis.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Laing. and Blackwell. Plants of New Zealand. Whitcombe and Tombs Ltd (1907-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Conservatory and Indoor Plants Volumes 1 & 2 Pan Books, London. ISBN 0-330-37376-5 (1998-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Allan. H. H. Flora of New Zealand. Government Printer, Wellington. (1961-00-00)