The leaves can be boiled and the yellowish-red extract used as a cleansing body wash.The wood makes an exceedingly fine fuel.
Cuttings of side shoots of the current season's growth, 5 - 8cm with a heel, August to December in a frame. Takes one year. Division in early spring. Take care because the plant resents root disturbance. Pot the divisions up and keep them in a lightly shaded position in a cold frame or greenhouse until they are growing away actively.Layering in spring.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Arctostaphylos manzanita. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are not hardy in the colder parts of Britain, they tolerate temperatures down to between -5 and -10°c. Pollination is often poor in Britain. Another report says that the plant does not fruit in this country. This species is called A. pungens manzanita by some botanists. A specimen seen at Cambridge B.G. was 2.5m tall in 1989[K].Plants resent root disturbance and should be placed in their final positions as soon as possible.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Arctostaphylos manzanita. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Arctostaphylos manzanita.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Simmons. A. E. Growing Unusual Fruit. David and Charles ISBN 0-7153-5531-7 (1972-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Saunders. C. F. Edible and Useful Wild Plants of the United States and Canada. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-23310-3 (1976-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Yanovsky. E. Food Plants of the N. American Indians. Publication no. 237. U.S. Depf of Agriculture. ()
- Weiner. M. A. Earth Medicine, Earth Food. Ballantine Books ISBN 0-449-90589-6 (1980-00-00)
- Moerman. D. Native American Ethnobotany Timber Press. Oregon. ISBN 0-88192-453-9 (1998-00-00)
- Grae. I. Nature's Colors - Dyes from Plants. MacMillan Publishing Co. New York. ISBN 0-02-544950-8 (1974-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Natural Food Institute, Wonder Crops. 1987. ()
- Rice. G. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 2. Thompson and Morgan. (1988-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Taylor. J. The Milder Garden. Dent (1990-00-00)
- Arnold-Forster. Shrubs for the Milder Counties. ()
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Munz. A California Flora. University of California Press (1959-00-00)