Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Abies firma.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Abies firma. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
New growth of the side shoots starts in April and this is very susceptible to damage by late frosts. The terminal buds do not open until mid-May and usually escape damage. Trees are fairly fast growing when young, sending up new growth of 60cm a year from the age of about 6 years. Side shoots grow with equal vigour, however and the tree often loses apical dominance. Trees grow best in the Perthshire valleys of Scotland. Trees should be planted into their permanent positions when they are quite small, between 30 and 90cm in height. Larger trees will check badly and hardly put on any growth for several years. This also badly affects root development and wind resistance. The flowers are produced in axils of the previous year's shoots.Plants are strongly outbreeding, self-fertilized seed usually grows poorly. They hybridize freely with other members of this genus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Abies firma. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Abies firma.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- McMillan-Browse. P. Hardy Woody Plants from Seed. Grower Books ISBN 0-901361-21-6 (1985-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Rushforth. K. Conifers. Christopher Helm ISBN 0-7470-2801-X (1987-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Mitchell. A. F. Conifers in the British Isles. HMSO ISBN 0-11-710012-9 (1975-00-00)
- www.foj.info Flora of Japan ()
- Ohwi. G. Flora of Japan. (English translation) Smithsonian Institution (1965-00-00)