Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Actinidia melanandra.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Actinidia melanandra.
Cuttings of softwood as soon as ready in spring in a frame[K]. Cuttings of half-ripe wood, July/August in a frame. Very high percentage.Cuttings of ripe wood, October/November in a frame.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Actinidia melanandra. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
One report says that plants are not fully hardy in the colder parts of the country. Young spring growth is susceptible to frost damage. Fruits are formed on second year wood and also on fruit spurs on older wood, any pruning is best carried out in the winter. The flowers have a soft, aromatic perfume. This is a climbing plant, supporting itself by twining around branches etc. At least one named variety has been developed for its edible fruit. Plants have been seen in fruit at Kew. This species is a good pollinator for A. arguta cordifolia. Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.Dioecious. Male and female plants must be grown if seed is required. Another report says that both sexes are on one plant.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Actinidia melanandra. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Actinidia melanandra.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- ? The Plantsman. Vol. 6. 1984 - 1985. Royal Horticultural Society (1984-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Li. H. L. Journal of the Arnold Arboretum. Volume 32. Arnold Arboretum. (1952-00-00)
- Rice. G. (Editor) Growing from Seed. Volume 1. Thompson and Morgan. (1987-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Grey-Wilson. C. & Matthews. V. Gardening on Walls Collins ISBN 0-00-219220-0 (1983-00-00)
- Natural Food Institute, Wonder Crops. 1987. ()
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Wilson. E. H. Plantae Wilsonae. ()