Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Abies veitchii.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Abies veitchii.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Abies veitchii. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Not a long-lived tree, but it is relatively fast growing. Trees can put on new growth of 75cm two years after planting out and grow at up to 1 metre a year for the first 20 years or so of their life. Growth rapidly tails off at this age, however, and trees often die quite soon afterwards. Trees are very hardy, but in the milder winters of Britain they are often excited into premature growth and are then susceptible to damage by late frosts. Trees grow best in the Perthshire valleys of Scotland. Trees should be planted into their permanent positions when they are quite small, between 30 and 90cm in height. Larger trees will check badly and hardly put on any growth for several years. This also badly affects root development and wind resistance. Plants are strongly outbreeding, self-fertilized seed usually grows poorly. They hybridize freely with other members of this genus. The flowers are produced in axils of the previous year's shoots. Female flowers are produced relatively early in the life of the tree, usually by the time it is 6 metres tall.This species is sometimes grown as a 'Christmas tree'.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Abies veitchii. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Abies veitchii.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- McMillan-Browse. P. Hardy Woody Plants from Seed. Grower Books ISBN 0-901361-21-6 (1985-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Rushforth. K. Conifers. Christopher Helm ISBN 0-7470-2801-X (1987-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Mitchell. A. F. Conifers in the British Isles. HMSO ISBN 0-11-710012-9 (1975-00-00)
- www.foj.info Flora of Japan ()
- Ohwi. G. Flora of Japan. (English translation) Smithsonian Institution (1965-00-00)
"image:Abies veitchii.JPG|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.