Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Baccharis patagonica.
Plants have an extensive root system and can be grown on sand or thin coastal soils in order to bind the soil.Resinous secretions on the leaves and wood make this a useful fuel. It is a fairly small plant though and would not be a very productive source.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Baccharis patagonica.
Cuttings of half-ripe wood, July/August in a frame. Very easy[K].Cuttings of mature wood of the current seasons growth, November in a frame. Easy[K].
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Baccharis patagonica. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are hardy to about -15°c. Very tolerant of pruning, plants produce an abundance of new shoots if they are cut back to the ground[K]. Flowers are produced on the previous year's growth[K]. Considered to be very attractive by most visitors to our trial grounds, the foliage and flowers are strongly aromatic, especially on hot sunny days[K].Dioecious. Male and female plants must be grown if seed is required.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Baccharis patagonica. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Baccharis patagonica.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Taylor. J. The Milder Garden. Dent (1990-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)
- Arnold-Forster. Shrubs for the Milder Counties. ()
- Moore. D. M. Flora of Tierra del Fuego. Anthony Nelson. ISBN 0-904614-05-0 (1983-00-00)