A herb tea is made from the leaves and flowering heads.Seed. No further details are given but the seed is very small and fiddly to use.
Externally, a wash of the leaves was applied to itching, rashes, swellings, boils, sores, etc. The wash was also applied to eczema and as an underarm deodorant. A poultice of the leaves can be applied to spider bites, blisters and burst boils.A snuff of the crushed leaves has been used to treat headaches, the sinuses and nosebleeds.
Division in spring or autumn.Basal cuttings in late spring. Harvest the young shoots when about10 - 15cm long, pot up in a lightly shaded position in a greenhouse or cold frame and plant them out when well rooted. Very easy.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Artemisia ludoviciana. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
A very polymorphic species. Slugs love the young shoots of this plant and have been known to destroy even well-established plants[K]. A very ornamental plant, spreading by stolons to form loose patches, it can be invasive. There are many named forms selected for their ornamental value.Members of this genus are rarely if ever troubled by browsing deer.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Artemisia ludoviciana. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Artemisia ludoviciana.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Foster. S. & Duke. J. A. A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants. Eastern and Central N. America. Houghton Mifflin Co. ISBN 0395467225 (1990-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Yanovsky. E. Food Plants of the N. American Indians. Publication no. 237. U.S. Depf of Agriculture. ()
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Chatto. B. The Dry Garden. Dent ISBN 0460045512 (1982-00-00)
- Moerman. D. Native American Ethnobotany Timber Press. Oregon. ISBN 0-88192-453-9 (1998-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
- Fernald. M. L. Gray's Manual of Botany. American Book Co. (1950-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Perennials Volumes 1 and 2. Pan Books ISBN 0-330-30936-9 (1991-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Perennial Garden Plants J. M. Dent & Sons, London. ISBN 0 460 86048 8 (1990-00-00)
"image:Artemisia ludoviciana ssp albula 3.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.