Leaves - raw or cooked.Flowers - raw. Used as a garnish on salads.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Allium giganteum. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
One report says that this species is only hardy to zone 8, which only covers the mildest areas of Britain, whilst another says that it is much hardier and will succeed in zone 4. It is being grown successfully about 60 kilometres west of London, and so should be hardy at least in the south of Britain. The bulbs should be planted fairly deeply. Most members of this genus are intolerant of competition from other growing plants. Grows well with most plants, especially roses, carrots, beet and chamomile, but it inhibits the growth of legumes. This plant is a bad companion for alfalfa, each species negatively affecting the other.Members of this genus are rarely if ever troubled by browsing deer.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Allium giganteum. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Allium giganteum.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Cooper. M. and Johnson. A. Poisonous Plants in Britain and their Effects on Animals and Man. HMSO ISBN 0112425291 (1984-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Riotte. L. Companion Planting for Successful Gardening. Garden Way, Vermont, USA. ISBN 0-88266-064-0 (1978-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Davies. D. Alliums. The Ornamental Onions. Batsford ISBN 0-7134-7030-5 (1992-00-00)
- Davies. P. Correspondence from Allium NCCPG collection (1997-00-00)
- Philbrick H. and Gregg R. B. Companion Plants. Watkins (1979-00-00)
- Hatfield. A. W. How to Enjoy your Weeds. Frederick Muller Ltd ISBN 0-584-10141-4 (1977-00-00)
- Allardice.P. A - Z of Companion Planting. Cassell Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-304-34324-2 (1993-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Perennial Garden Plants J. M. Dent & Sons, London. ISBN 0 460 86048 8 (1990-00-00)
"image:Allium giganteum1.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.