Division in spring or autumn. Larger divisions can be planted out direct into their permanent positions. We have found that it is best to pot up smaller divisions and grow them on in light shade in a greenhouse or cold frame until they are growing away well. Plant them out in the summer or the following spring. Cuttings of young shoots, 5 - 8cm with a heel, May/June in a frame. Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 5 - 8cm with a heel, July/August in a frame.Layering.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Thymus mastichina. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are hardy to about -10°c, but are best given some protection in the winter - a pane of glass supported over the plant is usually sufficient. The flowers are rich in nectar and are very attractive to honey bees. The bruised leaves are powerfully aromatic.This is a very difficult genus taxonomically, the species hybridize freely with each other and often intergrade into each other.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Thymus mastichina. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Thymus mastichina.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 (1995-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Grieve. A Modern Herbal. Penguin ISBN 0-14-046-440-9 (1984-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
- ? Flora Europaea Cambridge University Press (1964-00-00)
"image:Thymus mastichina 2.JPG|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.