Division in spring or autumn. Larger divisions can be planted out direct into their permanent positions. We have found that it is best to pot up smaller divisions and grow them on in light shade in a greenhouse or cold frame until they are growing away well. Plant them out in the summer or the following spring. Cuttings of young shoots, 5 - 8cm with a heel, May/June in a frame. Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 5 - 8cm with a heel, July/August in a frame.Layering.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Thymus capitatus. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are hardy to about -10°c. This species used to be cultivated as a culinary herb in the herb garden but it has now fallen into disuse. The flowers are rich in nectar and are very attractive to honey bees. The growing plant is a beneficial companion for most plants. The plant is powerfully pungent when handled.This is a very difficult genus taxonomically, the species hybridize freely with each other and often intergrade into each other.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Thymus capitatus. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Thymus capitatus.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 (1995-00-00)
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 (1972-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (1959-00-00)
- Schery. R. W. Plants for Man. ()
- Polunin. O. and Huxley. A. Flowers of the Mediterranean. Hogarth Press ISBN 0-7012-0784-1 (1987-00-00)
- Polunin. O. Flowers of Europe - A Field Guide. Oxford University Press ISBN 0192176218 (1969-00-00)
- Niebuhr. A. D. Herbs of Greece. Herb Society of America. (1970-00-00)
- Hatfield. A. W. How to Enjoy your Weeds. Frederick Muller Ltd ISBN 0-584-10141-4 (1977-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
- ? Flora Europaea Cambridge University Press (1964-00-00)
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-45" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.