A decoction of the root is ingested in the treatment of toothache. The skin of tomato fruits is a good source of lycopine, a substance that has been shown to protect people from heart attacks. It seems to be more effective when it is cooked and so can be obtained from food products such as tomato ketchup and tinned tomatoes.A homeopathic remedy is made from the plant. It is used in the treatment of rheumatism and severe headaches.
Seed can also be sown in situ under a cloche at the end of April, though in a cool summer the results may be disappointing.The seedcoat may carry tomato mosaic virus. However, by sowing the seed 15mm deep the seedcoat will remain below the soil surface when the seed germinates and the disease will be inactivated.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Solanum pimpinellifolium. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Plants are not frost-hardy. They can be grown outdoors in Britain as a spring-sown annual started off under glass in the spring. In cool wet summers the total yields are likely to be low[K].A form of tomato with a small but delicious tasting fruit, it is often treated as a separate species. There are some named varieties.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Solanum pimpinellifolium. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Solanum pimpinellifolium.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Stary. F. Poisonous Plants. Hamlyn ISBN 0-600-35666-3 (32202/01/01)
- Cooper. M. and Johnson. A. Poisonous Plants in Britain and their Effects on Animals and Man. HMSO ISBN 0112425291 (32202/01/01)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (32202/01/01)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (32202/01/01)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (32202/01/01)
- Uphof. J. C. Th. Dictionary of Economic Plants. Weinheim (32202/01/01)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (32202/01/01)
- Chiej. R. Encyclopaedia of Medicinal Plants. MacDonald ISBN 0-356-10541-5 (32202/01/01)
- Philbrick H. and Gregg R. B. Companion Plants. Watkins (32202/01/01)
- Riotte. L. Companion Planting for Successful Gardening. Garden Way, Vermont, USA. ISBN 0-88266-064-0 (32202/01/01)
- Hill. A. F. Economic Botany. The Maple Press (32202/01/01)
- Allardice.P. A - Z of Companion Planting. Cassell Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-304-34324-2 (32202/01/01)
- Duke. J. A. and Ayensu. E. S. Medicinal Plants of China Reference Publications, Inc. ISBN 0-917256-20-4 (32202/01/01)
- Radio 4 AM - (32202/01/01)
- RHS. The Garden. Volume 113. Royal Horticultural Society (32202/01/01)
- Chakravarty. H. L. The Plant Wealth of Iraq. ()
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (32202/01/01)