Edible usesThere are no edible uses listed for Sarracenia purpurea.
Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Sarracenia purpurea.
An infusion of the dried leaves has been used in the treatment of fevers and shakiness. An infusion of the leaves has been used to make childbirth easier and also for sickness associated with an absence of menstrual periods. An infusion of the leaves was at one time considered to be a cure for smallpox, though this has never been substantiated.An infusion of the roots has been used in the treatment of smallpox, there are conflicting reports as to its effectiveness. A decoction of the root has been given to women to help expel the afterbirth and to prevent sickness after childbirth. A strong decoction of the root has been used in the treatment of spitting blood and pulmonary complaints.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Sarracenia purpurea. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
An insectivorous plant, it is best grown in a boggy position in a soil that is low in nitrogen. The leaves form cups which become filled with water in which insects become trapped, drown and are digested by the plant.A very ornamental and polymorphic plant, it is becoming very rare in the wild and is on the CITES II list of endangered species.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Sarracenia purpurea. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Sarracenia purpurea.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Grieve. A Modern Herbal. Penguin ISBN 0-14-046-440-9 (1984-00-00)
- Usher. G. A Dictionary of Plants Used by Man. Constable ISBN 0094579202 (1974-00-00)
- Foster. S. & Duke. J. A. A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants. Eastern and Central N. America. Houghton Mifflin Co. ISBN 0395467225 (1990-00-00)
- Moerman. D. Native American Ethnobotany Timber Press. Oregon. ISBN 0-88192-453-9 (1998-00-00)
- Coffey. T. The History and Folklore of North American Wild Flowers. Facts on File. ISBN 0-8160-2624-6 (1993-00-00)
- Weiner. M. A. Earth Medicine, Earth Food. Ballantine Books ISBN 0-449-90589-6 (1980-00-00)
- Brickell. C. The RHS Gardener's Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers Dorling Kindersley Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-86318-386-7 (1990-00-00)
- Phillips. R. & Rix. M. Conservatory and Indoor Plants Volumes 1 & 2 Pan Books, London. ISBN 0-330-37376-5 (1998-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Fernald. M. L. Gray's Manual of Botany. American Book Co. (1950-00-00)
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-17" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.
"image:Purplepitcherplant.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.