Plants can also be grown for ground cover. They are best spaced about 60cm apart each way. The leaves are strewn amongst clothes to repel moths etc. The growing plant repels various insect pests, especially cabbage moths. The dried leaves are used in pot-pourri.An essential oil from the leaves is used in perfumery, the oil is also obtained from the flowers.
Cuttings of half-ripe side shoots, 5 - 8 cm long with a heel, July/August in a frame. Roots within 2 weeks. High percentage. The heeled cuttings can also be placed direct into the open garden in early July and should be well-rooted by the winter. Division in spring or autumn. Larger divisions can be planted out direct into their permanent positions. We have found it best to pot up the smaller divisions and grow them on in a lightly shaded position in a cold frame, planting them out once they are well established in the summer.Layering.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Santolina chamaecyparissus. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
Hardy to about -15°c when in a well-drained soil. A very wind hardy plant, it succeeds on the top of Cornish dry-stone walls. A very ornamental plant, there are several named varieties. Cotton lavender tolerates shearing so long as this is not done at times of low resistance (winter?). Plants can be cut back hard in spring to maintain their form, though this will prevent them flowering. A good companion plant for roses. Flowers are produced on two year old wood. The leaves are very aromatic. The bruised leaves are pleasantly pungent, though the flowers have an unpleasant smell. The form S. chamaecyparissus nana has a more pungent aroma than the type.Plants in this genus are notably resistant to honey fungus.
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Santolina chamaecyparissus. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Santolina chamaecyparissus.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Thomas. G. S. Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos. Murray ISBN 0-7195-5043-2 (1992-00-00)
- Bryan. J. and Castle. C. Edible Ornamental Garden. Pitman Publishing ISBN 0-273-00098-5 (1976-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- Genders. R. Scented Flora of the World. Robert Hale. London. ISBN 0-7090-5440-8 (1994-00-00)
- Chatto. B. The Dry Garden. Dent ISBN 0460045512 (1982-00-00)
- Thomas. G. S. Plants for Ground Cover J. M. Dent & Sons ISBN 0-460-12609-1 (1990-00-00)
- Grieve. A Modern Herbal. Penguin ISBN 0-14-046-440-9 (1984-00-00)
- Philbrick H. and Gregg R. B. Companion Plants. Watkins (1979-00-00)
- Riotte. L. Companion Planting for Successful Gardening. Garden Way, Vermont, USA. ISBN 0-88266-064-0 (1978-00-00)
- Polunin. O. Flowers of Europe - A Field Guide. Oxford University Press ISBN 0192176218 (1969-00-00)
- Allardice.P. A - Z of Companion Planting. Cassell Publishers Ltd. ISBN 0-304-34324-2 (1993-00-00)
- Bown. D. Encyclopaedia of Herbs and their Uses. Dorling Kindersley, London. ISBN 0-7513-020-31 (1995-00-00)
- Grae. I. Nature's Colors - Dyes from Plants. MacMillan Publishing Co. New York. ISBN 0-02-544950-8 (1974-00-00)
- Chiej. R. Encyclopaedia of Medicinal Plants. MacDonald ISBN 0-356-10541-5 (1984-00-00)
- Bean. W. Trees and Shrubs Hardy in Great Britain. Vol 1 - 4 and Supplement. Murray (1981-00-00)
- Dirr. M. A. and Heuser. M. W. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation. Athens Ga. Varsity Press ISBN 0942375009 (1987-00-00)
- Sheat. W. G. Propagation of Trees, Shrubs and Conifers. MacMillan and Co (1948-00-00)
- Sanders. T. W. Popular Hardy Perennials. Collingridge (1926-00-00)
- F. Chittendon. RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement. 1956 Oxford University Press (1951-00-00)
- Arnold-Forster. Shrubs for the Milder Counties. ()
<ref> tag with name "PFAFimport-17" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.
"image:Santolina chamaecyparissus2.jpg|248px" cannot be used as a page name in this wiki.