Material usesThere are no material uses listed for Reichardia picroides.
Medicinal uses(Warning!)There are no medicinal uses listed for Reichardia picroides.
Practical Plants is currently lacking information on propagation instructions of Reichardia picroides. Help us fill in the blanks! Edit this page to add your knowledge.
This species is not hardy in the colder areas of the country, it tolerates temperatures down to between -5 and -10°c. It is likely to be hardier when grown in a soil on the poor soil, though the leaves will not be so tender nor so freely produced[K]. Plants are also likely to be hardier in well-drained soils and dislike very wet weather[K]. Plants are often short-lived, though they are self-sowing quite freely in Cornwall[K]. A very easily grown plant, it has also proved to be almost totally slug-proof, even in a very heavily slug-infested garden[K].Formerly cultivated as a cut and come again salad crop in S. Europe, producing a harvestable yield within 10 weeks of sowing the seed[K]. This plant is possibly useful as a winter salad crop, growing in a sunny fairly sheltered position in Cornwall it has been yielding very well and continuously for a period of 18 months since the summer of 1993[K]. It requires more investigation[K].
Problems, pests & diseases
Associations & Interactions
There are no interactions listed for Reichardia picroides. Do you know of an interaction that should be listed here? to add it.
Polycultures & Guilds
There are no polycultures listed which include Reichardia picroides.
This table shows all the data stored for this plant.
- Hedrick. U. P. Sturtevant's Edible Plants of the World. Dover Publications ISBN 0-486-20459-6 (1972-00-00)
- Vilmorin. A. The Vegetable Garden. Ten Speed Press ISBN 0-89815-041-8 ()
- Thompson. B. The Gardener's Assistant. Blackie and Son. (1878-00-00)
- Larkcom. J. Salads all the Year Round. Hamlyn (1980-00-00)
- Tanaka. T. Tanaka's Cyclopaedia of Edible Plants of the World. Keigaku Publishing (1976-00-00)
- Kunkel. G. Plants for Human Consumption. Koeltz Scientific Books ISBN 3874292169 (1984-00-00)
- Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants. Kampong Publications ISBN 0-9628087-0-9 (1990-00-00)
- Huxley. A. The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening. 1992. MacMillan Press ISBN 0-333-47494-5 (1992-00-00)
- ? Flora Europaea Cambridge University Press (1964-00-00)